Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
Dr. Alexander Manson M.D.
Member of the Nottingham Medical Book Club
Physician at the Nottingham General Hospital from 1813 to 1832
Born in Scotland in 1774, Alexander Manson served in the Royal Navy for 13 years before settling in Nottingham to practice medicine. He became a physician at the Nottingham General Hospital in 1813, and carried out similar duties at the St. Mary's Workhouse Dispensary, which was situated on Mansfield Road below York Street. Manson pioneered the use of iodine as a cure for certain medical conditions. His surviving note books carry records of the many cases treated by him. In 1825 he published a reference book about his medical researches into the “effects of Iodine in Bronchocele, Paralysis, Chorea, Schropula, Fistula, Lachrymalis, Deafness, Dysphagia, White Swelling, and Distortions of the Spine.”
On the 21st September 1813, during the disturbances of the Reform Riots, Dr. Manson, who was thought to be a suppoter of the anti-reformists, was stoned by an angry crowd of demonstrators as he drove his carriage along Pelham Street. Later that same evening his home in Stoney Street was attacked and the windows broken by a gang of marauding youths.
He resigned his appointments in the early 1830’s and went to live in Darley Dale, Derbyshire, where he died in 1840 at the age of 66.