Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
Dr. Edmund Clarke
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
1992 - 1993
Edmund (Eddie) Clarke, who was President in 1992/3, served the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society with particular distinction over a period of many years. He was one of the select band of occupational physicians who were to hold the Presidency during the long history of the Society.
A Yorkshireman, born in 1927, and educated at Ecclesfield Grammar School in the West Ridding, qualifying MB ChB at the University of Sheffield in 1951. After House Officer posts at the Royal Hospital, Sheffield, and Rotherham Hospital, he served in the Royal Air Force as a Flight Lieutenant from 1952 to 1954. On leaving the RAF, he entered an industrial general practice where he remained for four years, before moving into full-time Occupation Health, which was destined to be his life’s work over the next 40 years. He was awarded the Diploma in Industrial Health of the Society of Apothecaries in 1961, and was elected Fellow of the Faculty of Occupational Health of the Royal College of Physicians, London in 1993.
His first appointment was in London as the Medical Officer to the Morgan Crucible Company, Battersea, following which he became MO at the Ministry of Defence, Landsdown House, Berkeley Square, London and Woolwich Arsenal. In 1965, he was posted to Nottingham as Medical Officer to the Royal Ordnance Factory, on Kings Meadow Road, Central Ordnance Depot, Chilwell, and TSD Old Dalby, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. In 1976 he was appointed Senior Medical Officer to the Imperial Tobacco Company, where he remained for ten years. After 1986 he held sessional appointments in Occupational Health at the Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, BUPA, Northern Foods and Hepworth Industries.
President of the Nottingham Society of Occupational Health 1969, Eddie Clark was Honorary Secretary of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society from 1989 to 1990, and was elected its President for the session 1992-93. He was keenly interested in the Society’s extensive archives and produced a series of fascinating historical exhibits for the Society’s display cabinet in the lounge of the Post Graduate Education Centre, Nottingham City Hospital. His interest in the role of the Doctor in the Crimean War resulted in him becoming a member of the Crimean War Research Society. In retirement, he continues to research the role of the Doctor in the Crimean War, with particular reference to Dr. E. M. Wrench, whose letters he discovered whilst researching the Society’s ancient books at the Hallward Library, Nottingham University.
Although retired and recovering from a stroke, he remains keenly interested in all aspects of medicine and continuing progress of the Society and he hopes, with the aid of further research, to publish the letters of Dr. Wrench, in book form.