Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
Dr. P. C. Lawson JP
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
Peter Charles Lawson, who was President for the 1994/93 Session had the unusual distinction of serving the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society continuously, in one office or other, for a total of 28 years.
He was born in Egypt, in Alexandra, on the 1st April 1931 (under an eclipse of the moon!). His father had worked there for many years with the Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes. The family returned to England for a while when Peter was a small child, but in 1936 his father was sent with the military to Libya and then on to Palestine where the family soon joined him. There were many local troubles at that time and the family had to leave following threats from the Arabs. Peter’s father’s chauffer was subsequently murdered for working for him.
From there it was back to Cairo where Peter Lawson when to a small Private School and then on to Victoria College in Alexandra. After a brief spell in England the family returned to Cairo just before the outbreak of the war where Peter continued his education at Victoria College which had by then moved to Cairo. In 1940 his father was sent to Greece but was taken prisoner of war. With the German invasion of Egypt the family were sent to South Africa where Peter continued his education at De La Salle as a day boy and St. Aiden’s as a boarder. With the repatriation of his father in 1943, Peter returned to England in 1944 by ship being made a Boy Scout in Mid-Atlantic! After further wartime moves Peter was able to stay at Wallasey Grammar School for five years where he rowed for the 1st Crew for three years.
On leaving school Peter Lawson went to Liverpool University where he qualified MB BCh in 1956, being awarded the Clinical Exhibition prize, and having taken an intercalated Honours BSc in Anatomy. With general practice already in his sights he did pre-registration posts in Clatterbridge Hospital, a pre-registration appointment in Surgery, Orthopaedics, Ear Nose and Throat at Victoria Central Hospital. After registration he took a three year Short Term Commission in the Royal Air Force and was posted to RAF Newton, Nottinghamshire where he served for the full three years.
On leaving the RAF, he joined the redoubtable Dr. Ian Loch in General Practice and was happily in partnership with him for 25 years in Mansfield Road and Woodborough Road, Nottingham, until Ian Loch retired in 1985. Having examined Airline Pilots for the, then Department of Aviation when on Royal Air Force service Peter Lawson became one of the first few civilians to be appointed to examine for the Ministry of Aviation later CAA, in 1960, and for the FAA in 1966 and for the Australian CAA. During the 1980’s he spent a number of holidays acting as Ship’s Doctor and cruised both in the Mediterranean and in the Caribbean and South America.
In 1972, with Dr. Brendon Jacobs, be became one of the first General Practice Trainers in Nottingham and acted as a trainer until his retirement.
In 1984 Peter was made a Fellow of the Society of Orthopaedic Medicine and lectured on a number of courses both in the UK and in Canada and the USA.
He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1972 and served 19 years on the Bench.
Joining the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society soon after coming to Nottingham he was soon heavily involved with the Social Committee where he was eventually appointed as the Social Secretary, organising the Medical Ball for 20 years. The Society was delighted to ask him to become President for the 1994/95 session and made him Honorary Life Member in 1998.