Nottingham Hospitals History

Timeline of Nottingham’s Hospitals and

 The Defining Moments in Medicine and Nursing


1781: 12 February Laying of the foundation stone to the Nottingham General Hospital.

1782: 18 September, The Nottingham General Hospital opens.

1787: The first extension to the Nottingham General Hospital, known as the Derbyshire Wing.

Foundation Stone

1782: Nottm General Hospital

1787: Nottm General Hospial

1796: Developed by Edward Jenner the smallpox vaccine the first successful vaccine to be developed after he followed up his observation that milkmaids who had previously caught cowpox did not later catch smallpox by showing that inoculated cowpox protected against smallpox.

Edward Jenner

1797: The Enclosure Commissioners of Basford allot to the Vicar of Basford, Rev. Robert Stanser, 132 acres of land in lieu of tithes (taxes) that today is the City Hospital Campus.

1797: The Enclosure of Basford

1812: Four more wards, two spacious day rooms and a bigger shop (dispensary) and storeroom where added to the Nottingham General Hospital. In the same year a lunatic asylum was opened in Sneinton, the forerunner of Saxondale Hospital.

1812: Sneinton Lunatic Asylum

1819: The stethoscope was invented enabling doctors better to diagnose conditions of the heart and lungs.

1848: Introduction of anaesthesia, chloroform was developed by James Young Simpson.

James Young Simpson

1853: The outbreak of the Crimean War and the need to improve nursing/patient care.

Florence Nightingale

1855: Designed by Thomas Chambers Hine, along with the hospital chapel a third storey is opened at the Nottingham General Hospital increasing the bed capacity to 136.

1855: Nottm General Hospital

1860: The opening of the Nightingale Training School for Nurses at St Thomas's in London, which brought vast improvements in the quality and status of nursing.

1869: Formation of Nottingham's first Children's Hospital at Russell House, No.3 Postern Street, Nottingham.

No.3 Postern Street, Nottm.

1871/72: This hospital or isolation unit was built in answer to a small pox epidemic in which there was 500 recorded cases. Known as the Garden Hospital as it was adjacent to the gardens of the Union Workhouse on York Street, Nottingham.

1871/72: Garden Hospital

1880: Designed by George Thomas Hine, the son of Thomas Chambers Hine, the Nottingham Borough Asylum (Mapperley Hospital) was opened on 3 August.

George Thomas Hine

1880: Mapperley Hospital

1878: Joseph Lister's antiseptic techniques pave the way for modern surgery.

Joseph Lister

1879: Designed by Thomas Chambers Hine, two accident wards, James Foreman and Neil Ward, open at the Nottingham General Hospital.

Thomas Chambers Hine

Accident Wards, Nottm General Hospital

1819: Stethoscope

1884: January, 126 acres of land was purchased from the Vicar of Basford, Rev. Harry Rogers Pitman, by the Nottingham Corporation for £25,475, to build a new Isolation/Sanatorium.

1892: The Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital/Sanatorium is opened on 15th July by the Mayor of Nottingham. In attendance was Miss Dickinson, the hospitals first Matron and Dr Wynne, the Assistant Medical Officer. In later years the Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital became known as ‘Heathfield Hospital’ and became a post-operative recuperative hospital adjacent to the Nottingham City Hospital.

1893: The first Women's Hospital was opened in two converted Georgian houses near St Nicholas Church on 29-31, Castle Gate. Also, Parliament gives approval for the London extension to the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, which involves the demolition of the Union Workhouse on York Street, forerunner to the Bagthorpe Workhouse and Infirmary (Nottingham City Hospital).

Former Headquarters to the Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital, designed by Nottingham Borough Engineer, Arthur Brown, opened in 1892.

29 -31, Castle Gate

Union Workhouse, York Street, Nottingham

1895, X-Ray: The discovery of x-ray by the German physicist Wilhelm Roentgen.

1897: The Cedars Hospital on Mansfield Road is opened with 20 beds as a recuperative hospital for patients recovering from surgery.

Wilhelm Roentgen

Cedars Hospital, Mansfield Road, Sherwood

1898: On the 7 July the Foundation to the Nottingham General Hospital’s Jubilee Wing is laid.

1898: Jubilee Wing, Nottm  General Hospital

17 April, 1899 Bagthorpe Workhouse

1899: 17 April the Foundation Stone is laid at the Bagthorpe Workouse and Infirmary. This is followed on Tuesday 25th July by Lady Belper of Kingston-upon-Soar laying the cornerstone to Saxondale Hospital.

1900: The Jubilee Wing at the Nottingham General Hospital is opened, increasing the bed capacity to 210. This was the first part of the hospital to have electric lighting installed. Also, in December of the same year the Duchess of Portland officially opened the new premises of the Nottingham Children’s Hospital, Forest House on Chestnut Grove n Nottingham’s Mapperley Park Estate.

Jubilee Wing, Nottm General Hospital

Nottm Children’s Hospital, Forest House

1902: July 29th Saxondale Hospital is opened by Lady Elinor Denison and was the first hospital to put into practice the changing policies and philosophies of psychiatric care and establish early links with the community.

Lady Elinor Denison

1903: Wednesday 18th March, The official opening of the Bagthorpe Workhouse and Infirmary.

1903: Bagthorpe Workhouse and Infirmary

1908: Nottingham Cripples Guild the forerunner to Harlow Wood orthopaedic Hospital is opened on Park Row, Nottingham

The Cripples Guild

1912: The Nottingham and Midland Eye Infirmary (Eye Hospital) on the Ropewalk was opened by the Duchess of Portland.

Nottm and Midland Eye Infirmary

1914/1918 War: A war that on the western front in France was to see 2,690,054 men become battle casualties and a further 3,528,496 succumbed to sickness and death. It was also during those four years the Bagthorpe Infirmary became a Military Hospital when the authorities took over the hospital, which at the time provided 600 beds.

At the outbreak of war in August 1914, beds at the Nottingham General Hospital were immediately placed at the disposal of the military authorities for sick and wounded soldiers. The whole of the Jubilee Wing was set aside for this purpose was soon full. The large day ward was furnished with beds. The 40 beds at ‘The Cedars’ soon increased to 50, were used for convalescent and less acute cases. Rearrangements within the Hospital, together with the use of a large empty house (Thornton House) adjacent to the Hospital and lent by Mr. Henry Thornton, enabled this work to be undertaken without diminishing the number of civilian patients.

Military Hospital, Bagthorpe, Nottm.

World War One: Jubilee Wing.

Thornton House

1917, Plastic Surgery: The Queen's Hospital in Sidcup, Kent opened in June 1917 and with its convalescent units provided over 1,000 beds. There pioneering surgeon Harold Gillies and his colleagues developed many techniques of plastic surgery; more than 11,000 operations were performed on over 5,000 men (mostly soldiers with facial injuries, usually from gunshot wounds). In the same year Ellerslie House, a home for paralysed soldiers and sailors on Gregory Boulevard, Nottingham was opened.  Originally purchased by the 6th Duke of Portland and donated to a committee established to provide long-term care for back and other paralysing injuries especially among ex-servicemen.

Sir Harold Gillies

Ellerslie House

1917, Shell Shock: In the latter stages of World War One, Saxondale Hospital received patients who were suffering the effects of ‘Shell Shock, now referred to as ‘Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.’

Entrance to Saxondale Hospital

Inter-war expansion of the Nottingham General Hospital

Architects drawings of proposed building expansion

1923: HRH Prince Edward the Prince of Wales officially opens the Memorial Nurses Home at the Nottingham General Hospital.

Memorial Nurses Home

1927: The Ropewalk Wing at the Nottingham General Hospital is opened by HRH Princess Mary. Also, on the same day, HRH Princess Mary opened the Player extension at the Nottingham Children’s Hospital. In the same year the Casualty Department at the General Hospital was extended at a cost of £6,476.

Ropewalk Wing

Opening of the Player Wing

Casualty/OPD, Nottm Genetal Hospital

1930: A new Children’s Ward at the Nottingham General Hospital – an extra floor to the Jubilee Wing with 24 beds, costing £12,075 which was met by Mr. W. G. Player.

1929: The Nottingham City Hospital School of Nursing opens in one large class room in Nurses Home One. In the same year on the 3rd August the Duke and Duchess of York (King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) officially opened Harlow Wood Hospital, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.

The Duke & Duchess of York

Jubilee Wing

Also, in 1930 a purpose-built children's wards and an additional theatre is opened at the Nottingham City Hospital. The Nottingham Board of Guardians is abolished and replaced by the Local Assistance Committee. The old workhouse building known as the Institute is re-named Valebrook Lodge and the Infirmary is renamed the City Infirmary.

Children’s Wards, Nottm City Hospital

1931: On the 31st March at a cost of £7,000 Lord Moynihan, at the Nottingham General Hospital officially opens the Louis Pearson Operating Theatre. Also, Sir Thomas Shipstone donated £4,000 to remodel the old main theatre which later bore his name.

1931: Louie Pearson Operating Theatre

1930: Shipstone Operating Theatre

1932: The Player Wing at the Nottingham General Hospital is opened by Mr. W.G. Player at a cost of £25,000.

1932: W. G. Player Ward

1933: John Dane Player, gave £25,000 to start a fund for a private wing at the Nottingham General Hospital known as ‘The Pay Bed Wing.

Pay Bed Wing

1934, The Public Health Act: As consequence of this act from 1st April 1935 the City Infirmary was “appropriated and became a municipal general hospital and was at last severed from the Poor Law and became known as the “Nottingham City Hospital.”

1935, Sulphonamides: Sulphonamide drugs were the first antibiotics to be used systemically and paved the way for the antibiotic revolution in medicine. The first official communication about the breakthrough discovery was not published until 1935, more than two years after the drug was patented by Klarer and his research partner Fritz Mietzsch.

Fritz Mietzsch

1936, 7th May: St. Ann’s Hospital, Thorneywood, Porchester Road, Nottingham is opened.

St. Ann’s Hospital, Thorneywood

1939/45 War: The Nottingham City Hospital was once again used as a military hospital treating wounded allied soldier as well as German prisoners of war.

Air raid construction, Nottm City Hospital

Stretcher Bearers, Nottm General Hospital

1941: Dr. George Papanicolaou discovered that it was possible to detect cancer by inspecting cervical cells. The Pap smear, the cervical cancer screening test, is named after him.

Dr. George Papanicolaou

1942: Penicillin was discovered in 1928 by Scottish scientist Alexander Fleming. People began using it to treat infections in the same year.

Alexander Fleming

1942: Sir William Beveridge publishes a report outlining the creation of a modern Welfare State and the National Health Service.

Sir William Beveridge

1943: The Dutch physician, Dr. Willem Kolff is considered the father of dialysis as it was he who constructed the world’s first dialysis machine.

Dr. Willem Kolff

1944: It was in this year the government produced a White Paper on the subject of forming a post-war National Health Service.

1946: The introduction of curare into clinical medicine has made it possible to obtain complete muscular relaxation during anaesthesia.

1947: Professor F. L. Hopwood, a pioneer in medical physics developed the first linear accelerator in the treatment of cancer.

1948, 5th July: The inception of the National Health Service. Under the new administrative system, the Nottingham General Hospital comes under the Nottingham No.1 Hospital Management Committee. Whereas the Nottingham City Hospital becomes part of the Nottingham No.2 Hospital Management Committee.

NHS Launch Leaflet

1948: Sir Nicholas Harold Lloyd Ridley was the ophthalmologist who pioneered artificial intraocular lens transplant surgery for cataract patients.

Sir Nicholas Harold Lloyd

1949: The Introduction of Cortisone in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. This was the discovery by the American Chemists Edward Calvin Kendall and Harold L. Mason along with Philip S. Hench at the Mayo Institute in 1929 discovered that cortisone is effective in the treatment of arthritis.

1950: Introduction of a compulsory pre-registration year for newly qualified doctors greatly eases the problem of finding suitable houses physicians and house surgeons in Nottingham’s Hospitals. Smoking is identified as the cause of lung cancer and Tuberculosis is cured with streptomycin and para-aminosalicylic acid (PAS).

1951: The Nottingham City Hospital’s Occupational Therapy is opened. Also the Foundation Stone to the new Twin Operating Theatres was laid on the 28th July 1951 by the Rt. Hon. Lord Webb Johnson FRCS.

Occupational Therapy Dept. Nottm City Hospital

Rt. Hon. Lord Webb Johnson FRCS

1952: The Copenhagen polio epidemic and the birth of intensive care. In the same year, developed by chemists at the French pharmaceutical company Rhône-Poulenc, Chlorpromazine was used for the first time in January 1952 to calm a young, severely agitated schizophrenic male patient in a Paris hospital. In less than a year, it was available on prescription in France as Largactil - a brand name reflecting its “large action.”

1954: The Duchess of Gloucester opens the new twin operating theatre at the Nottingham City Hospital and the City Hospital League of Friends is formed.

Guard of Hon. For HRH Duchess of Gloucester

HRH Duchess of Gloucester with other VIP’s

1954: Originally developed by Carl Zeiss the Zeiss operating microscope is used for the first time.

1955: The Nottingham City Hospital’s first plastic surgeon Mr. David Wynn Williams is appointed.

1955: After the first successful intra cardiac correction of a congenital heart defect using hypothermia was performed by Drs. C. Walton Lillehei and F. John Lewis at the University of Minnesota on 2 September 1952, Open Heart Surgery becomes available.

Carl Zeiss

Dr. C. Walton Lillehei

Dr. F. John Lewis

1955: Developed by Jonas Salk, the first polio vaccine came into use.

1956: Peter Safar and James Elam invented mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Together with James Elam, and Peter Safar they discover the airway, head tilt, chin lift and the mouth-to-mouth breathing components of Cardiopulmonary Respiration and together influence Norwegian doll maker Asmund Laerdal to design and manufacture mannequins for CPR training called Resus Anne.

1957: A major scheme begins to modernise the Nottingham City Hospital’s main wards, which began on 25th May with the laying of the Foundation Stone to the new Out Patients Department by Councillor Robert Shaw.

Jonas Salk

Councillor Robert Shaw

1957: After conducting a successful laboratory test in 1944, Pavlosky, a doctor from Buenos Aires, in Argentina, showed that blood from one haemophiliac could correct the clotting problem in a second haemophiliac and vice-versa. He had stumbled upon two haemophiliacs each with a deficiency in different proteins - factor VIII and factor IX. This led to the recognition of haemophilia A and haemophilia B as two distinct diseases.

1958: The new out patients department at the Nottingham City Hospital is opened.

Main Entrance OPD Nottm City Hospital

Waiting Room OPD Nottm City Hospital

1959: The invention of a rod-lens optical system by Harold H. Hopkins, PhD, in 1959 (the Hopkins Endoscope) and a year later with the addition of fibreoptic light transmission by Karl Storz marked a breakthrough in modern endoscopy.

1959: The Nottingham City Hospital’s new X-ray Department is opened on the 22 May.

Harold H. Hopkins

New Xary Department, Nottm City Hospital

1960: American Endocrinologist Gregory Pincus and gynaecologist John Rock’s oral contraceptive pill becomes available. It was first introduced into the UK on the NHS in 1961 for married women only. This lasted until 1967 and is now taken by 3.5 million women in Britain between the ages of 16 and 49.

1961: The drug levodopa was first tried out on Parkinson’s disease patients, and the first total hip replacement operation is performed by pioneering orthopaedic surgeon John Charnley.

Gregory Pincus

John Rock

John Charnley

1963: Dr. Thomas Starzl of the University of Pittsburgh perfects Kidney Transplantation.

Thomas Starzl

1963: The pathology at the Nottingham City Hospital is reorganised and the microbiology service is taken over by Dr. E. R. Mitchell, Director of the Public Laboratory Service.

1964: Drugs in the prevention of strokes were first demonstrated in 1964 by Doctors Michael Hamilton and Eileen Thompson of the Chelmsford Hospital. In the same year Vasilii Kolesov, one of the pioneers of cardiovascular surgery, was the first surgeon to have performed, successfully, coronary bypass surgery.

27th July 1964: Announcement in the House of Commons that the first new medical school in the UK in the 20th Century is to be established in Nottingham, which includes the construction of a new district general hospital consisting of 1,200 beds (Queen’s Medical Centre).

1965: Group Captain Douglas Bader opens the Nottingham School of Physiotherapy.

Group Captain Douglas Bader

June 1965: The Report of the University’s Medical School Advisory Committee (The Pickering Report) is published by Sir George Pickering, Regius Professor of Medicine at the University of Oxford.

Sir George Pickering

1967: 26th September, opening session of the Public Inquiry concerning the compulsory purchase of the Clifton Boulevard site that is now the campus of the Queen’s Medical Centre. The Public Inquiry is concluded on 13th October, 1967.

1967: The first heart transplant is performed by South African heart surgeon, Dr Christiaan Barnard at the Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa

1967: The first kidney dialysis machine is presented to the Nottingham City Hospital.

1968: The compulsory land purchase to build the Q.M.C. is delayed due to a court challenge by Simms Sons & Cooke’s Shareholders.

Dr Christiaan Barnard

Simms Sons & Cooke

1969: The first prenatal diagnosis of Down's syndrome 3 years after the achievement of amniotic cell growth by Steele and Berg.

June 1969: Acquisition of the Clifton Boulevard site to build Nottingham’s Queen’s Medical Centre finally confirmed, but, for a variety of reasons, the site was not available for building purposes until September, 1971.

1969: The Site where today’s QMC is built

1969: The Site where today’s QMC is built

1969: Sherwood Day Hospital and the artificial limb appliance centre (Mobility Centre) is opened at the Nottingham City Hospital.

1970: 6th October, the University of Nottingham Medical School is formally inaugurated and the occasion is marked by a visit from Sir Keith Joseph, Secretary of State for Social Services.

Artificial Limb Appliance Centre

1970: The Nottingham City Hospital is awarded teaching hospital status. Lady Hamilton opens the new physiotherapy department and the local authority begins to vacate the former workhouse wards in the old Sherwood Hospital.

1970 Neonatal Units in UK Hospitals: Some early units ran community programmes, sending experienced nurses to help care for premature babies at home. But increasingly technological monitoring and therapy meant special care for babies became hospital-based. In the same year also saw the introduction of cognitive/behaviour therapy.

Former Workhouse Building

1971, 24th May: The first pile is driven on the Clifton Boulevard site signifying the beginning of construction on the Phase One (Medical School and Q.M.C’s. Hospital West Block) contract for the Teaching Hospital and Medical School project.

1971: saw the cure for some childhood cancers by Dr. Donald Pinkel specialist in paediatric haematology and oncology at the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, in Memphis, Tennessee.

Dr. Donald Pinkel

1972: Along with the Post Graduate Medical Centre the coronary care unit opens at the Nottingham City Hospital.

1972: 3rd May, The Minister of Health, Sir Keith Joseph officially opens the Trent Wing at the Nottingham General Hospital.

Trent Wing Nottm General Hospital

1973: Introduced in 1973, the CAT scan (computed axial tomography) was originally invented in 1972 by two scientists working independently. British engineer Godfrey Hounsfield of EMI laboratories invented the CT scan in England, and South African-born physicist Allan Cormack of Tufts University invented it in the United States.

Godfrey Hounsfield

Allan Cormack

1973: Six more operating theatres open and the central sterile supplies department is established at the Nottingham City Hospital.

1974: A new 168-bed maternity unit is officially opened at the Nottingham City Hospital. Its facilities include a 46-cot special care baby unit. The first kidney transplant operation is performed at the City Hospital; the Urology Department is strengthened by the appointment of two consultants and the staff leisure centre is opened. As part of a major reorganisation of the N.H.S. the City Hospital comes under the North Nottingham (Teaching) District.

Maternity Unit, Nottm City Hospital

1975: The Nottingham City Hospital’s first renal unit is established in what was once the hospital’s Maternity Unit.

1975: Work begins on Phase Two contract for the second half of the Q.M.C. and Medical School project. The agreement of Government to proceed with Phase Two is only given after considerable discussion.

1976: The Nottingham City Hospital’s Sandfield Children’s Unit is opened.

Aerial Photograph of the construction of Phase two of the construction of the QMC

Fire during the construction of the QMC

1977, 27th June: the remaining parts of Phase One of the Q.M.C. are handed over. Together with the Medical School (by now almost fully commissioned) these comprise 435 hospital beds together outpatient and accident services with supporting facilities. Work also proceeds with Phase Two of the Q.M.C. project which, when completed, will provided a further 1,000 beds together with accommodation for several clinical academic departments. Later, on the 28th July, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II officially opens the University Hospital to which she bestows the title Queen’s Medical Centre.

Arrival of HM The Queen

HM The Queen being shown a scale model of the QMC

1977: Andreas Gruentzig performed the first successful percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (known as PTCA or percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)) on a human on September 16, 1977 at the University Hospital, Zurich in Switzerland. Dr. Gruentzig subsequently went on to perform a further 169 coronary angioplasties on patients in Zurich. While teaching the practice of coronary angioplasty to a field of budding interventional cardiologists. It is interesting to note that ten years later, nearly 90 percent of these individuals were still alive.

Andreas Gruentzig

1977: A £50,000 bequest – the largest gift in the Nottingham City Hospital’s history – gives a flying start to the £1m CARE Appeal to fund a medical research centre.

1978: After pioneering work carried out by Doctors Robert Edwards and Patrick Steptoe, Louise Joy Brown becomes the first test tube baby who was born on 25th July by caesarean section.

Robert Edwards and Patrick Steptoe

1978: University of Nottingham physics professor, Sir Peter Mansfield pioneers the first Magnetic Resonance Imaging (M.R.I.) machine by using himself as the Guinee pig. He later, in 2003, shared the Nobel Prize for physics with US chemist Professor Paul Lauterbur.

Sir Peter Mansfield

1978, August to November: The out-patient’s clinics move from the Nottingham General Hospital and the Eye Hospital to Phase One of the Q.M.C.

1978, 11th November: The Children’s Hospital and the Children’s A&E Department move in their entirety from the Children’s Hospital on Chestnut Grove to the Q.M.C.

Children;’s Hospital, Forest House (1900-1978)

First arrivals at the QMC

1979: The Helen Garrod breast screening unit is opened at the Nottingham City Hospital.

1979: Coronary angioplasty, a procedure used to widen blocked or narrowed coronary arteries, is introduced into the world of heart surgery.

1979, 22nd July: The Accident and Emergency Department transferred from the Nottingham General Hospital to the Q.M.C. In 1979 when the A&E department first opened at the Q.M.C. 100,000 patients passed through its doors, in 2015 the number had risen to 207,000.

A&E Department, Nottm General Hospital

1979: A&E Department, QMC

1979, January to December: Medical (4 wards), Surgical (6 wards) and Orthopaedic (2 wards) move from the General Hospital to the Q.M.C.

1980: Mapperley Psychiatric Hospital celebrates its centenary

1980: The new H Block at the Nottingham City Hospital is opened. It incorporates children’s services, a dedicated burns unit, plastic surgery, renal dialysis and the department of clinical genetics. In the same year, Hayward House, a specialist palliative care unit is opened.

Mapperley Hospital

1980: H. Block Nottm City Hospital

Hayward House

1981: Linden Lodge, a 26-bed unit for younger chronically ill patients, is opened at the Nottingham City Hospital.

1981: The Department of Child Health moves from F. Floor in the West Block of the Q.M.C. to its permanent accommodation in the East Block.

1981, November: The Women’s Hospital, Peel Street, Nottingham moves in its entirety to the East Block (Phase Two) of the Q.M.C..

Linden Lodge

Women’s Hospital, Peel Street, Nottm

1981 – 1982: The bi-centenary celebrations of the Nottingham General Hospital.

Bi-Centenary Service 12 Feb 1981

15 Sept. 1982 Bi-Centenary procession through the centre 0f Nottingham

1982: The transfer from Ropewalk to the Q.M.C. of the Nottingham Eye Hospital.

1983: The Stroke Research Unit is opened by actress Miriam Karlin at the Nottingham General Hospital.

Former Eye Hospital, The Ropwalk, Nottm.

Opening of the Stroke Unit 1983

1984: Microbiologists Barry Marshall and Robin Warren discovery that peptic ulcers are primarily caused by Helicobacter pylori, a bacterium with an affinity for acidic environments, such as the stomach.

Barry Marshall

Robin Warren

1984: Much of the Department of Psychiatry moves to the Q.M.C. from Mapperley Hospital.

1986: The Duchess of Gloucester opens the Medical Research Centre at the Nottingham City Hospital.

1987: The introduction of Thrombolysis (clot-busting) for heart attacks. Thrombolytics work by dissolving a major clot quickly. This helps restart blood flow to the heart and helps prevent damage to the heart muscle.

1988: The transfer of orthopaedic services to the Q.M.C. followed by the closure of Harlow Wood Hospital.

1988, 5th July: The Fortieth Anniversary of the UK’s National Health Service.

1988: Princess Margaret visits the new occupational therapy department at the Nottingham City Hospital and officially opens the CT body scanner. A new outpatient reception area is opened as well a portable screening.

The Duchess of Gloucester

Harlow Wood Hospital, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire

Occupational Health Department

C.T. Scanner Unit

1988: After 81 years of service the closure of Saxondale Hospital.

1989: After over two centuries of health care, the closure of the Nottingham General Hospital is announced.

Aerial view, Saxondale Hospital

Mothballed Ward, Jubilee Wing, Nottm General Hospital

1989, January 8th: The Kegworth Air Disaster, the Q.M.C. treats 49 air crash victims.

1989: January 11th: The Prince Charles visits the Q.M.C. to talk to those recovering from the injuries following the Kegworth Air Disaster.

Rescue workers at the crash scene

HRH Prince Charles visiting victims of the air disaster

1990, September 9th: HRH the Prince of Wales, after a riding accident and sustaining a shoulder injury, is operated on by Q.M.C. Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Professor Christopher Colton.

1990: A purpose-built genito-urinary medicine unit is opened at the Nottingham City Hospital, following the transfer of the special clinic from the Nottingham General Hospital. The refurbished children’s outpatient’s department at the City Hospital is opened.

Prof. Colton

Gentio-Urinary Medicine Unit, Nottm City Hospital

1991: The appointment of the Q.M.C’s. first Chief Executive, Mr. David Edwards.

1991: After an extensive refurbishment, Nightingale Ward two at the Nottingham City Hospital is re-opened to treat patients with infectious diseases.

1992: The Nottingham City Hospital becomes an N.H.S. Trust with Thelma Holland as its first Chief Executive. A lithotripter machine for shattering kidney stones without the need for an operation is installed, and the Duke of Kent officially opens the department of clinical radiology and medical physics.

Mr. David Edwards

Miss Thelma Holland

1992, September 9th: Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales visit the Q.M.C.

1993, April: The University Hospital, Queen’s Medical Centre becomes a Self-Governing Trust.

1993, October: The renal/oncology building is commissioned at the Nottingham City Hospital, which enables cancer services to be transferred from the Nottingham General Hospital and the acute renal wards to relocated alongside the dialysis unit in the H Block.

Renal and Oncology extension to the H. Block

1993: Following the transfer of the oncology department to the Nottingham City Hospital, the Nottingham General Hospital is finally closed.

Following on from the closure of the Nottm General Hospital, the demolition of the Trent Wing

1994: The closure of Mapperley Hospital.

Example of Mapperley Hospital buildings after closure

1994: the new £10m maternity unit at the Nottingham City Hospital is opened to replace the asbestos-clad unit built in the early 1970’s. The new unit also includes a Patients Hotel. In the same year a new women’s endoscopy unit is also opened at the City Hospital.

New Maternity with a Patients Hotel

1995: The upper limb unit – named the Charnley Suite – is opened at the Nottingham City Hospital following the closure of Harlow Wood Hospital. In the same year the City Hospital’s cardiac intensive care unit is also opened.

1995, April: The Q.M.C. is twinned with Groningen University Hospital, Holland.

Groningen University Hospital, Holland.

1995, September 25th: The Rt. Hon. Stephen Dorrell MP, Secretary of State for Health officially opens the Q.M.C’s refurbished West Block Main Entrance.

QMC Main Entrance

1996, February 10th: The Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Right Honourable Kenneth Clarke QC MP, formally opened the Q.M.C’s redeveloped children’s intensive care unit.

1996, The introduction of Triple therapy for AIDS: The use of multiple drugs that act on different viral targets is known as highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART). HAART decreases the patient's total burden of HIV, maintains function of the immune system, and prevents opportunistic infections that often lead to death.

1996: The last of the old Sherwood/Poor Law Workhouse wards are demolished to make way for the building of a new endoscopy unit.

1997, June: HRH The Duchess of Gloucester officially opens the Q.M.C’s Pain Management Centre.

Old Sherwood Hospital Ward

HRH The Duchess of Gloucester

1999: Chief Medical Officer, Professor Liam Donaldson opens the University of Nottingham’s Clinical Sciences Building on the campus of the Nottingham City Hospital.

1998: The introduction of Vigra for the treatment of impotence.

Clinical Sciences Building, Nottm City Hospital

1999, February: HRH The Prince of Wales officially opens the Q.M.C’s Multi-Faith Centre and the parents overnight stay unit.

1999, April: A new centre for testing drugs is officially opened at the Q.M.C. by Health Minister, Baroness Helene Hayman.

1999, October: Alan Simpson MP officially unveils the stained glass window at the Q.M.C’s West Block main entrance on Derby Road.

Baroness Helene Hayman

Stained Glass Window

2000: The cardiac surgery unit is opened at the Nottingham City Hospital.

2000 – 2004: Mr. John Macdonald becomes The Queen’s Medical Centre’s second Chief Executive.

Mr. John Macdonald

Trent Cardiac Centre

2000, December: The Q.M.C’s new Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Unit is opened.

2001: The new endoscopy unit is opened at the Nottingham City Hospital.

Ear Nose and Throat Centre

Endoscopy Unit

2001, September: Princess Alexandra officially opens the Q.M.C’s Ear Foundation Centre for Cochlear Implant Surgery

HRH Princess Alexandra

2003, March 18 The Nottingham City Hospital celebrates its centenary.

Cutting the Centenary Cake

2003: The opening of the Nottingham City Hospital’s Breast Institute.

2003 April: The 25 Anniversary of the Queen’s Medical Centre.

2003, June: The £300,000 Wolfson Centre for digestive diseases is opened by Professor Sir David Weatherall and Miss Nottingham, Laura Garratt.

Miss Nottingham, Laura Garratt.

Professor Sir David Weatherall

2004, July 27th: HRH Prince Charles opens the Q.M.C’s new Accident and Emergency Department. On the same date HRH Prince Charles also officially opens the Nottingham City Hospital’s Brest Institute.

2016: Ambulance Bays, A&E Department, QMC

Nottm City Hospital Breast Institute

2004 – 2005: Mr. Stephen Moss becomes the Q.M.C’s Acting Chief Executive. Retired in 2005 he was knighted in the 2006 New Year’s Honours list for his services to nursing.

2005, September: The Nottingham Urology Centre at the City Hospital is opened.

Sir Stephen Moss

Nottm Urology Centre

2004, July: Announcement is made of the intention to build a new £46m Treatment Centre at the Q.M.C.

2005 – 2006: Mr. David Edwards becomes the interim Chief Executive of the Queen’s Medical Centre.

2006, April: The Hospital Trusts of the Nottingham City Hospital and Queen’s Medical Centre amalgamate to become the Nottingham University Hospital’s N.H.S. Trust with Dr. Peter Homa as its Chief Executive.

Dr. Peter Homa

2006, June: England Footballer Wayne Rooney was treated for a foot injury at the Q.M.C. by Professors Angus Wallace and Chris Moran.

Wayne Rooney

2006: October 4th, the new £10m Haematology Centre is officially opened by BBC East Midlands Newsreader Jo Healey. In the same month on the 13th of October cricketing legend Ian Botham opened the Adolescent and Young People’s Unit also based in the Haematology Centre.

Jo Healey

Ian Botham

Haematology Centre

2007: Professor Angus Wallace performed the world’s first shoulder replacement operation on a thalidomide patient.

Prof Angus Wallace

2007, July: A new £275,000 unit for mother suffering from post-natal depression is opened at the Q.M.C. In the same month, the 28th July, the Queen’s Medical Centre celebrates its 30th Anniversary.

2008, June: The amalgamation of the children’s wards from the City Hospital with those at the Q.M.C. to re-establish the Nottingham Children’s Hospital, which cares for 40,000 children up to 18 years old each year.

2008, 28th July: Run by Nations Healthcare, the Nottingham N.H.S. Treatment Centre is opened.

2009: HRH The Prince of Wales visited the Nottingham City Hospital to launch a new patient menu and to chat to staff and patients about hospital food. In the same year, the Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust Headquarters is relocated from the Queen’s Medical Centre to the refurbished former Nurses Home Two at the Nottingham City Hospital.

Treatment Centre

HRH Prince of Wales

Trust Headquarters

2009, July: After a £250,000 refurbishment, increasing the bed capacity from 8 to 12, the Q.M.C.’s High Dependency Unit is reopened.

2010, May: A £3.5m research unit to improve care for patients with digestive diseases at the Q.M.C. is opened by actress Leslie Ash. Also, a new Kidney Dialysis unit is opened as well.

Leslie Ash

2011, 10th January: The new Nottingham Radiotherapy Centre is opened by Sir Mike Richards CBE who early in his career was a registrar at the Nottingham City Hospital.

Sir Mike Richards C.B.E.

Radiotherapy Centre

2011, May: A new £3.5m specialist burns unit for children is set up on the children’s wards at the Q.M.C.

2011, July: Mother and Baby Unit named after Dr. Margaret Oates is opened at the Q.M.C.

2011, 2nd November: Nottingham fashion designer Sir Paul Smith opens the Maggies Cancer Care Unit at the Nottingham City Hospital.

Maggie's Cancer Care Unit

2012, February: Until that date the Queen's Medical Centre was the largest hospital in the United Kingdom and the largest teaching hospital in Europe, when it was eventually surpassed by the Royal London Hospital.

2012, April: The East Midlands Major Trauma Centre is established, which when it first opened, by the expertise of its staff, saved the lives of 220 patients.

2013, March 18th: The Nottingham City Hospital’s 110th Anniversary. In the same year after a successful fund raising appeal that raised 6.6 million pounds, work commenced on the building of the new 16 bed Wolfson Cystic Fibrosis Centre.

Work commences on the building of the Cystic Fibrosis Centre

2013 November: The Q.M.C’s Major Trauma Centre expansion is officially opened on ward C30.

2014: The Q.M.C’s adult intensive care unit is reopened after a £3.5m major refit and expansion.

2015, May: A state-of-the-arts orthopaedic operating theatres opened at the City Hospital. The building design won an award for its environmental sustainability. All five operating theatres contain laminar flow technology and have the most up to date specification to enhance patient safety and experience.

Orthopaedic Theatres , Nottm City Hospital

Orthopaedic Theatre building from the North Road of the Nottm City Hospital

2015, July: A £4.7m teenage cancer centre is opened on wards E39 and E40 at the Q.M.C. In attendance are the Duchess of York and Who lead singer Roger Daltry.

2015, August 25th: Lines 2 and 3 of Nottingham’s tram network opens and the Queen’s Medical Centre becomes the first hospital in the UK to have its own dedicated tram stop.

Duchess of York and Who lead singer Roger Daltry

QMC Tram Stop

2016, April: After 18 months of work Forever Stars, a charity set up by Richard and Michelle Daniels to raise £100,000 for a state-of-the-art bereavement centre at the Q.M.C. for mothers who have lost their child at birth, see their efforts rewarded with the opening of the centre by its patron Ann Davis of BBC East Midlands.

Richard and Michelle Daniels

Patron of Forever Stars, BBC Reporter Ann Davis

2016, April 1st: The Nottingham University Hospitals N.H.S. Trust celebrates its 10th anniversary.

2017, July 28th: The Queen’s Medical Centre’s 40th Anniversary.


1859: Coppice Hospital

1859: Designed by Thomas Chambers Hine Coppice Hospital is opened. After 126 years service it finally closed in 1985.