Lewis Walter Marshall
Information from an obituary which appeared
Nottingham Evening Post,
11th September, 1929.
Dr. Lewis Marshall, who was for many years the leading specialist in children’s diseases in Nottingham, died yesterday at Cheltenham where he went to reside on retiring from practice some four years ago.
Dr. Marshall was one of the pioneers, along with the late Thomas Wright, of the Nottingham Children’s Hospital, when it was located on Standard Hill, and following Dr. Wright, he was appointed sole medical officer in charge of the institution.
For many years he was practically the only local specialist on children’s diseases, and built up a much more than local reputation.
To his house on the Ropewalk came parents from all parts of the country, bringing their children for treatment.
On dietetic subjects especially he was a high authority, and read papers before the British Medical Association and various medical organisations.
His professional qualifications and the positions which he held were many. He took his Doctor of Medicine degree at Aberdeen University in 1874, having taken his Bachelor of Medicine and Master of Surgery Degrees with honours at the same University in 1871, and his Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons (England) in 1870. He also took his Licentiate of the Society of Apothecaries in 1872.
Dr. Marshall was at one time president of the Midlands Branch of the British Medical Association and acted as medical referee for the Scottish Provident Institutions and other insurance companies.
Before launching out as a specialist in children’s diseases, he held the position of resident surgeon at the Nottingham General Hospital.
At one time he was a fairly frequent contributor to the medical Press, including the Chemical Society’s reports, the “British Medical Journal” and the “Lancet.” In the last named he wrote on “The need for the systematic training in children’s diseases.” In 1892 he was president of the Children’s section of the British Medical Association.
Local Studies Library,
Angel Row, Nottingham