Nottingham Hospitals History

Sir Charles Seely, Bart (1833-1915)


Born in Lincoln, he was Lieutenant-Colonel of the Robin Hood Rifle Volunteers from 1869 to 1895 and MP for Nottingham from 1869 to 1874; 1880-85 and 1892-95. After retiring from Parliament he was made a Knight of Grace of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, becoming a baronet in 1896. He was High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire in 1890. His association with Nottingham General Hospital covered nearly half a century. During that period he made immense gifts, both of money and personal commitment. His principal donations included The Cedars and an adjoining house in 1887, which became a pre-convalescent unit and is now a rehabilitation centre. He gave the bridge to link Postern Street with the main hospital and bought two houses for the use of TB patients. He was also chairman of the committee which raised funds for the Jubilee Wing, a handsome addition to the hospital and he personally provided a new entrance hall. First elected president in 1873, he held the office nine times and he was chairman of the Monthly Board from 1897 until 1914. He was made a Freeman of the Borough in 1895 and died in 1915.