Nottingham Hospitals History

RETURN


JAMES POLLOCK CAMPBELL

1907 – 1976


President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society

1965-1966




James Pollock Campbell:- 3, Albemarle Road, Woodthorpe, Nottingham. Consulting Rooms, 1, Park Terrace, The Ropewalk, Nottingham. M.B., Ch.B., St. Andrews 1930, F.R.C.S., Edinburgh 1936 (Dundee). Surgeon Superintendent, Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital, Mansfield. Orhopaedic Surgeon, Nottingham General Hospital, Nottingham Children's Hospital and Ilkeston Hospital. Fellow of the British Orthopaedic Association. Member of the British Medical Association and former President of the Nottingham Branch. Member of the International de Chir Orthopaedic et de Traumatol. Late:- Senior Orthopaedic Surgeon, City Hospital, Nottingham.Orthopaedic Surgeon, Newark Hospital  Lecturer:- Regional Avatomy, University College Dundee (St. Andrews University).


Medical Directory 1964.


________________


Professor William Waugh wrote:- James Pollock Campbell graduated at the University College of Dundee in 1930 and was subsequently a lecturer in anatomy before beginning his surgical career. He took the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) in 1936. His early orthopaedic training was at Manchester with Sir Harry Platt and at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital at Oswestry. This experience formed the basis on which he was to develop a lifetime’s devotion to the practice of orthopaedic surgery. He came to Nottingham in 1938 and joined Alan Malkin at Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital. He was on the staff of the Nottingham City Hospital for a number of years and also at  Nottingham General and Nottingham Children’s Hospital. When Alan Malkin retired in 1957 James Campbell succeeded him as surgeon superintendent at Harlow Wood and dedicated himself to improving the hospital in every way. He believed firmly that orthopaedic surgery was best practised in a special hospital which was designed for that purpose and he was determined to preserve the integrity of the unit with which he was so closely associated. At the same time he played an active part in the busy accident service at the Nottingham General Hospital.


James Campbell was a kind and generous man. He was a strong supporter of the long established Nottingham Cripples Guild and president of the Nottingham Sports Club for the Disabled. Many patients in Nottingham have reason to be grateful for his sound judgment and surgical skill. He was particularly interested in the use of femerol osteotomy for osteoarthritis and other conditions of the hip and published an important paper on this with one of his colleagues. He was a fellow of the British Orthopaedic Association and a member of the Societe Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopedique. He was elected president of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society in 1965 to 1966, and was also president of the Nottinghamshire Branch of the British Medical Association. James had many friends outside his work and was a popular figure at the Nott’s Golf Club, where he played with notable skill. He was also a past president of the Nottinghamshire and District Scottish Golfing Society.


BMJ, 28th August 1976. Page 535.


NEXT IMAGE