Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
No report of the Administration of the Poor Law during the past year and those directly preceding it would be complete without reference to the part played by the Guardians during the war. When accommodation of all kinds for war purposes became imperative, Guardians rose to the occasion by providing, which have been valued beyond calculation? Difficulties accommodating their own poor were inevitable. These difficulties were surmounted in various ways and always and un-grudgingly, the staffs often, in fact in every case, working under great difficulties. Fortunately the normal population workhouses had been, and was being, much reduced a circumstance which greatly aided and determined the accommodation which could be made available and placed at the disposal of the military authorities.
Much might be written on the subject, but a brief survey must suffice. The Guardians of the Parish of Nottingham at once place their separate infirmary at the disposal of the War Office. This large infirmary, built some 24 years ago, had accommodation for 750 patients, and could be described as thoroughly up-to-date with every appliance, which could be required, an excellent operating theatre and x-ray apparatus, and generally a model hospital in every respect. At first the guardians handed over 500 beds, and subsequently, notwithstanding the difficulties of providing for their own inmates, more and more accommodation was given until not only 750 beds all handed over, but one detached block of the workhouse was also offered and made use of during the emergency of March 1918.
The Guardians at Leicester, within a few days, agreed to place their infirmary at the disposal of the War Office. This infirmary is entirely separate and distinct from the workhouse and situated just outside the city boundary at North Evington. Though Smaller, it is very similar to the Nottingham Infirmary, and accommodation in pre-war days some 500 patients, but, as at Nottingham, no doubt owing to the fact that all patients were one sex, a large number of military patients were accommodated. It was generally, admitted by all those who were brought into contact with these institutions that they constituted two of the finest military hospitals in the country.
1919 – 1920: The first Annual Report of the Ministry of Health:
1925: The purpose built operating theatre, Bagthorpe Military Hospital, as mentioned in the first Annual Report of the Ministry of Health, 1919