Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
Since the ending of the First World War there had been friction between the central government and some guardians over what was deemed to be excessively generous relief. The most famous case was at Poplar in the early 1920s, and in 1926 Neville Chamberlain had taken new powers to supersede errant guardians, power which he implemented after the General Strike, in West Ham, Chester-Le-Street and Bedwelty. Now in 1929 he went even further. After nearly a century of existence, as in the case of Nottingham from 1836, the guardians were swept away and that powers over the Poor Law were vested in the local authorities, who were instructed to form Public Assistance Committees for the relief of destitution. The authorities were encouraged to allocate to their appropriate committees the Poor Law functions that were not concerned with the relief of the able-bodied, such as child care and chronic illness. To the unemployed the new Public Assistance Committees were merely the old guardians writ large, and shortly to be armed with greater inquisitorial powers.
All local boards of guardians functions ceased on 1 April 193, in the case of Nottingham, it was on this date that the local authorities health committee, together with the local assistance as its head, took control of the running of the Bagthorpe Institution or, as it was then renamed, the “City Infirmary.” The medical committee, apart from the running of the renamed institution were also in charge of out-relief or domiciliary treatment.
1929: 27th March, The Local Government Act:
The Nottingham Board of Guardians 1929