Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
1902 - 1988
The General Lunatic Asylum, Carlton Road, Sneinton, Nottingham
The building was also known as The 'County Lunatic Asylum. The County Lunatic Asylum, opened in 1812, for town and county pauper patients. It stood on the east side of Carlton Road, located in Sneinton. It consisted of a main block with central offices for administrative purposes, two wings for reception of new cases and detached blocks for the sick and epileptic cases, and had beds for 400 patients. (It was mainly superseded by The Borough of Nottingham Lunatic Asylum in Mapperley which opened (unfinished) on August 3rd, 1880).