Nottingham Women’s Hospital, Peel Street
Women’s Hospital, Castle Gate, opened in 1893
One of the Women’s Ward, Castle Gate
When the hospital was opened it came with two twelve-
In February 1939 a new wing, costing £30,000, of which John Dane Player donated £25,000 was opened, which provided an extra thirty-
31 May 1928: Foundation Stone to the new Women’s Hospital laid by Her Grace the Duchess of Portland.
Architects drawing of the new Nottingham Women’s Hospital, Peel Street
St. Mary’s Nursing Home closed in 1972 as did Adbolton Hall eight years later in 1980. The hospital on Peel Street finally closed in 1981 when all its services were transferred to Nottingham’s Queen’s Medical Centre on Derby Road.
Aerial Photograph, Nottingham Women's Hospital
The entrance that marks the opening of the hospital in 1929
The extension that was opened in 1938, adding an extra 38 beds
Former Nottingham Women’s Hospital since renamed Charleston House
A familiar view of the former Women’s Hospital
Designed by Messrs. Bromley, Cartwright and Waumsley of Nottingham, the former Nottingham Hospital for Women on Peel Street was opened on 4 November 1929, by H.R.H. Princess Helena Victoria, of which the Foundation Stone was laid in the previous year by Her Grace the Duchess of Portland on the 31 May 1928.
The Nottingham Hospital for Women was an amalgamation of two hospitals, the first being a hospital that began life on Castle Gate , Nottingham in 1893 and the Samaritan Hospital for Women on Raleigh Street, Nottingham.