Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
CHARLES HENRY CATTLE
1856 - 1943
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
Charles Henry Cattle 2, East Circus Street, Nottingham. M.D., London, 1880, M.B., 1877; M.R.C.P. London, 1890, M.R.C.S., England, 1876 (Leeds & University College). Member of the B.M.A. & Honorary President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society. Surgical Clinical Prize, Leeds School of Medicine. Honorary Physician Nottingham and Nott’s Convalescence Homes. Late Senior Assistant Resident Medical Officer, Leeds General Infirmary, and Senior Resident Medical Officer, Leeds Public Dispensary.
Medical Directory 1897
The son of a Wesleyan Clergyman, Charles Henry Cattle was educated at a Wesleyan college and began his medical education at the Leeds Medical School, afterwards incorporated in the Leeds University. It was here that he became aquainted with Sir Clifford Allbutt, and a friendship arose which lasted throughout their lives. Cattle took his Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of England exams in 1876 and soon afterwards graduated M.B., London, proceeding M.D., in 1880. He was in general practice in Nottingham for some years, and was greatly helped at that time by Dr. William Henry Ransom F.R.S., who was then his senior physician at the Nottingham General Hospital. In 1908 he was elected Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons. In 1901 he was appointed honorary assistant physician to the General Hospital, Nottingham, and he then became a consulting physician, which had always been his ambition and intention. He followed as full physician in 1906, and he was also physician to the Ransom Sanatorium for Tuberculosis. The whole of his professional life was spent in Nottingham, where he soon gained a high place in the esteem of his fellows, and also a large consulting practice.
Cattle made many contributions to medical literature, especially on affections of the heart and lungs. He took an active part in the discussions of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society, of which he was secretary for many years and later as president. Deeply interested in the affairs of his profession, he was a member of the British Medical Association for 63 years. A keen cyclist, he wandered over the greater part of England, Wales, and Scotland on a pedal machine which he rode up to the age of 74. He was also a great walker, and kept this up till nearly the end. His library was well stocked with medical and general literature, as was only to be expected from one who read so extensively and found such solace in the best books. He had a retiring, simple, and sympathetic nature, and no desire for publicity. Finally in his obituary it was said:- “The high esteem and affection in which he was held was manifested by the large number, including many colleagues, who attended the memorial service.”
B.M.J., March 13th, 1943, page 335/6