Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
THOMAS JAMES DABELL
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
Thomas James Dabell was born in Arnold on the 1st May, 1864. The son of Thomas Dabell, he was educated at Trent College and the Nottingham General Hospital between 1881-83. It was during this period he purchased a practice which belonged to the late Dr. Irvine. However, still retaining his practice, between 1883-87 he studied at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, where he was awarded the Treasurer's Prize in anatomy, and was Senior Prosector in 1885. After he completed his studies he became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (England).
During his student years at St. Bartholomew's he was a member of the Abernethian Society and Sports Club. He took an active part in the sports club becoming the captain of the football team, where he played in both the first and second team.
In 1888 he married Annie Violet, a daughter of W. Jenkins (of P and O service).
Later, owing to the growth of his practice, and in order to attend to many civic duties, in October 1899 he went into partnership with a Dr. H.M.Brown, of Alfred Street South.
Apart from his practice he was the Examiner to the Legal and General Insurance Company, and was surgeon to several Lodges of the Nottingham and Manchester Orders of Oddfellows
His civic duties consisted of him being elected in 1894 as a Conservative City Councillor where he represented the Robin Hood Ward. He was returned twice to represent that ward, both in 1897 and later in November 1900 which he won by a majority of 400 votes. However, before becoming a councillor, for three years he served as a member of the Nottingham Board of Guardians, being returned to the St. Anne's District with a majority of 600 votes.
His civic responsibilities consisted of him being the Vice-Chairman of the Public Baths Committee, and a member of the Water, Public Health, and Parliamentary Committees. His other duty was to serve as warden for the Church of St. Lukes. Finally, he was also a member, and later its president, during 1905, of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society.
Contemporary Biographies Nottingham Local Studies library