Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
LEWIS WALTER MARSHALL
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
Lewis Walter Marshall:- 42, The Ropewalk, Nottingham. M.D., Aberdeen, 1874, M.B., C.M., (Honours) 1871., M.R.C.S., England, 1870. L.S.A., 1872 (Bristol and The University of Aberdeen). Consultant Physician, Children's Hospital, Nottingham. Medical Referee, Scott Provident and other Assurance Companies. Former President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society. President of the Midland Branch of the British Medical Association. Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine. Late:- Resident Surgeon, Nottingham General Hospital and Senior Physician and Senior Medical Officer, Children's Hospital, Nottingham.
Medical Directory 1915.
Dr. Lewis Marshall, who was for many years the leading specialist in children’s diseases in Nottingham, died yesterday at Cheltenham where he went to reside on retiring from practice some four years ago.
Dr. Marshall was one of the pioneers, along with the late Thomas Wright, of the Nottingham Children’s Hospital, when it was located on Standard Hill, and following Dr. Wright, he was appointed sole medical officer in charge of the institution.
For many years he was practically the only local specialist on children’s diseases, and built up a much more than local reputation.
To his house on the Ropewalk came parents from all parts of the country, bringing their children for treatment.
On dietetic subjects especially he was a high authority, and read papers before the British Medical Association and various medical organisations.
His professional qualifications and the positions which he held were many. He took his Doctor of Medicine degree at Aberdeen University in 1874, having taken his Bachelor of Medicine and Master of Surgery Degrees with honours at the same University in 1871, and his Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons (England) in 1870. He also took his Licentiate of the Society of Apothecaries in 1872.
Dr. Marshall was at one time president of the Midlands Branch of the British Medical Association and acted as medical referee for the Scottish Provident Institutions and other insurance companies.
Before launching out as a specialist in children’s diseases, he held the position of resident surgeon at the Nottingham General Hospital.
At one time he was a fairly frequent contributor to the medical Press, including the Chemical Society’s reports, the “British Medical Journal” and the “Lancet.” In the last named he wrote on “The need for the systematic training in children’s diseases.” In 1892 he was president of the Children’s section of the British Medical Association.
“Obituary 11th September, 1929, Nottingham Evening Post”
Local Studies Library,
Angel Row, Nottingham
Delivered November 6th 1907
“Children’s Work in Medicine”
A meeting of this society was held on November 6th, 1907 when Dr. L. W. Marshall read his presidential address on “Children’s Work in Medicine.”
After a brief historical survey he pointed out that children’s ailments need be made no speciality in the “popular and evil sense of the word.” The word did not deal with an organ but with the entire organism at its most interesting period of development. Arguing from this fact and the universal lament of the student that the medical schools did not provide at all adequately for his instruction in this topic, so that he was left to search for knowledge “on his own” after qualifying. Dr. Marshall urged strongly that attendance on the practice of a children’s hospital should be compulsory for every student and that children’s diseases should be taught in every medical school by some one who by his earnestness and enthusiasm was fitted for the task - not by one who was asked to sandwich it in between other subjects which were to him of more interest and with which he was more at home. The student should begin his clinical work in the children’s ward, for there was no better training-ground for adult work, and the man who had children's work at his fingers’ ends started with the best possible equipment for the difficulties of general medicine and general practice. It must not be assumed that children were miniature men and women; their ailments had been well called “the grammar of disease” and should be studied first, for child-life was exempt from none of the diseases of adult life, though it did modify them in proportion to the stage of development reached.
To view life as one great entity of which the infant was the steppingstone was to give to children’s work new force, as well as more interest and much pleasure to the worker. The nutrition, feeding, and hygiene of child life were also very important with the object of avoiding disease and acquiring a sound constitution. Possessing no intuitive knowledge the human parent needed guidance as to the care of her offspring and such instruction ought to come from the general practitioner rather than lady visitors who obtained their knowledge only from pamphlets.
Nursery hygiene did not begin and end with feeding and those who had to teach others must themselves have some practical knowledge of the subject. If therefore medical men were to teach others they must first of all be instructed efficiently themselves. In all things they must seek to follow Nature rather than forestall her and education in the technical sense should not begin before the seventh year.
The commoner neuroses of childhood were attributable more to errors in rearing than to heredity, and teething had primarily very little to do with convulsions. The malnutrition often spoken of contemptuously as “only rickets” was, directly and indirectly, responsible for more deaths than any other cause and hence should claim their serious attention. The widespread existence of this scourge might well be attributable in part to their own apathy and indifference in the study of infant life and ite requirements.