SIR WILLIAM TINDAL ROBERTSON
President of the Nottingham Medico-
William Tindal Robertson:-
Medical Directory 1861
William Tindal Robertson was born at Bath, the eldest son of Frederick Fowler Robertson and his wife Anne Tindal. He was educated at King Edward VI's Grammer School, Grantham, and University College, London. He qualified in 1848 and served in junior appointments at the Middlesex and Royal Free Hospitals. He then completed his medical training with visits to Paris and Edinburgh proceeding to his M.D. degree in 1853. In the following year he settled in Nottingham, where for nearly twenty years he acted as physician to the General Hospital. He took a leading part in local affairs: he was a member of the town council, promoted the formation of the Robin Hood Rifles and helped to found the Nottingham Literary and Philosophical Society. He retired to Brighton on account of failing eyesight in 1873, but continued to concern himself with municipal and political matters, although he eventually became blind. He was chosen as chairman of the Brighton Conservative Association in 1880 and six years later was returned unopposed to Parliament as representative of the borough. He was knighted in 1888. Robertson married in 1855 Elizabeth Ann, daughter of John Leavers of Nottingham, by whom he had four sons.
Lives of Fellow's of the Royal College of Physicians.