Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
Nottingham Women’s Hospital, Peel Street
The former Nottingham Hospital for Women on Peel Street was opened on 5th November 1929, by H.R.H. Princess Helena Victoria. Georgian in character, it was designed by Messrs. Bromley, Cartwright and Waumsley of Nottingham.
The Nottingham Hospital for Women was an amalgamation of two hospitals, the first being a hospital that began life that began in 1893 on Castle Gate in Nottingham and a smaller hospital, known as the Samaritan Hospital, on Raleigh Street.
Women’s Hospital, Castle Gate, opened in 1893
One of the Women’s Ward, Castle Gate
When the hospital was opened it came with two twelve-bed and two ten-bed wards and a separate ward for sixteen private patients, providing a total accommodation of sixty beds
In February 1939 a new wing, costing £30,000, of which John Dane Player donated £25,000 was opened, which provided an extra thirty-eight beds; in 1944 a nurses home was provided; 1945 Adbolton Hall was acquired as a recuperative hospital for those receiving post-operative care. Finally, in 1947 the former Samaritan Hospital on Raleigh Street was equipped as a nursing home from private maternity patients and renamed St. Mary’s Nursing Home.
Foundation Stone to the new Women’s Hospital laid by Her Grace the Duchess of Portland.
Architects drawing of the new Nottingham Women’s Hospital, Peel Street
St. Mary’s Nursing Home closed in 1972 as did Adbolton Hall eight years later in 1980. The hospital on Peel Street finally closed in 1981 when all its services were transferred to Nottingham’s Queen’s Medical Centre on Derby Road.
Aerial Photograph, Nottingham Women's Hospital
2013: Photographs of the former Nottingham Women’s Hospital
“Charleston House “
The entrance that marks the opening of the hospital in 1929
The extension that was opened in 1938, adding an extra 38 beds
Former Nottingham Women’s Hospital since renamed Charleston House
A familiar view of the former Women’s Hospital