Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
JAMES CHARLES BUCKLEY
(1868 - 1945)
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
1926 - 1927
James Charles Buckley:- 74, St. James Street, Nottingham and Southfield House, Bramcote, Nottinghamshire. M.D. Victoria, 1894, M.B., Ch.B. 1892; (Owen College). Consultant Physician, Venereal Diseases, Nottingham General Hospital. Medical Officer for Venereal Diseases, Nottinghamshire County Council Member of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society. Late:- Senior Assistant Honorary Physician and Senior Resident Medical Officer, General Hospital, Nottingham. House Physician, Hospital for Consumption, Brompton, London. and Manchester Royal Infirmary. Temporary Lt. R.A.M.C. Author:- "Laryngeal Tuberculosis." (Thesis).
Medical Directory 1926.
James Charles Buckley, son of Joseph Mills Buckley, a Manchester Merchant Banker was born in Manchester in 1868, and was educated at Leys School Cambridge, Owen’s College and Manchester Royal Infirmary. After graduating at Manchester and holding various appointments Buckley engaged in General Practice in Nottingham. His interests were attracted to venereology, and by 1914 this speciality made up half his practice. When in the Royal Army Medical Corps his work was confined to venereology, and in 1917 he was released for the purpose of starting the Nottingham Clinic. Under his direction the clinic was organized and expanded until it became one of the most important of provincial treatment centres. He was also in charge of clinics at Mansfield and for a time at Newark, and carried on a large private practice. Although he retired from the Nottingham Clinic in 1938 his activities were not greatly reduced, and he actually opened a centre at Worksop.
In an obituary to Dr. Buckley a colleague said of him:- Those who worked with Buckley remembered him for his great store of energy and excellent organizing abilities. Good tempered and kindly, he did not suffer fools gladly, and this combination enabled him to run a large clinic with the minimum of friction. He played an important part in the growth of venereology as a speciality, and although he did not write many articles his influence was felt in the committee room as a sound and practical planner who was really able to make things work. In his spare time Buckley bred racing pigeons, and secured many successes, notably in long distance races from San Sebastian. During they year 1843/44 the pigeons he bred were used fore military purposes.
Dr. Buckley died at his home address of Southfields, Bramcote on November 18th 1945 just four days after having been in active practice. Again in the same obituary to him a colleague remembers him saying he hoped he would meet his end in just this fashion.
B.M.J., December 22nd, 1945, page 905.
“The Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Syphilis”
At a meeting of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society, on January 20th, 1927, Dr. J. C. Buckley gave his presidential address on the early diagnosis and treatment of syphilis. Dr. Buckley commented on the importance of early diagnosis and treatment of a disease so prevalent and so disabling, since thus the most severe results could be avoided. He laid stress on the necessity for the examination of any suspicious sore for the spirochete, and gave details as to the technique of the examination by dark ground illumination, mentioning that this should precede the application of any antiseptic to the sore. By this examination a positive diagnosis could be made before the Wassermann reaction became positive. He dealt briefly with the other tests for syphilis, and then detailed the routine treatment as administered at the Nottingham Venereal Diseases Clinic. The drugs in use were (1) novarsenobillon for intravenous, and (2) bismostal for intra muscular injection. The technique of the intravenous injection was described, and the complications of the treatment were detailed, the chief being local sloughing from faulty injections, dermatitis, and jaundice. In dealing with jaundice, he mentioned that since the van den Bergh reaction had been extensively used at the Nottingham Venereal Diseases Clinic the incidence of jaundice had been reduced by 50 per cent.