CHARLES HENRY CATTLE
President of the Nottingham Medico-
Charles Henry Cattle 2, East Circus Street, Nottingham. M.D., London, 1880, M.B., 1877; M.R.C.P. London, 1890, M.R.C.S., England, 1876 (Leeds & University College). Member of the B.M.A. & Honorary President of the Nottingham Medico-
Medical Directory 1897
The son of a Wesleyan Clergyman, Charles Henry Cattle was educated at a Wesleyan college and began his medical education at the Leeds Medical School, afterwards incorporated in the Leeds University. It was here that he became aquainted with Sir Clifford Allbutt, and a friendship arose which lasted throughout their lives. Cattle took his Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of England exams in 1876 and soon afterwards graduated M.B., London, proceeding M.D., in 1880. He was in general practice in Nottingham for some years, and was greatly helped at that time by Dr. William Henry Ransom F.R.S., who was then his senior physician at the Nottingham General Hospital. In 1908 he was elected Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons. In 1901 he was appointed honorary assistant physician to the General Hospital, Nottingham, and he then became a consulting physician, which had always been his ambition and intention. He followed as full physician in 1906, and he was also physician to the Ransom Sanatorium for Tuberculosis. The whole of his professional life was spent in Nottingham, where he soon gained a high place in the esteem of his fellows, and also a large consulting practice.
Cattle made many contributions to medical literature, especially on affections of the heart and lungs. He took an active part in the discussions of the Nottingham Medico-
B.M.J., March 13th, 1943, page 335/6