Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
WILFRID BOOTHBY BLANDY
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
1937 - 1938
Wilfrid Boothby Blandy:- "Hazelwood," Mount Hooton Road, Nottingham. M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., London, 1902. L.D.S., R.C.S., England 1900, (Dent Hospital and Charing Cross Hospital). Entrance Scholar, Charing Cross Hospital. Huxley School, 1899. Honorary Consultant Surgeon, Nottingham General Dispensary. Late:- House Surgeon, Charing Cross Hospital.
Medical Directory 1937
Dr. Blandy took the L.D.S., R.C.S. in 1900 and the M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. in 1902. He was a house surgeon at Charing Cross Hospital, where he received his medical training, and for many years he practiced in Nottingham. He served in the Middle East with the Royal Army Medical Corps from 1917 to 1919, and soon after returning to Nottingham he was elected to the local council as a member of the Meadows Ward. He was president of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society in 1937 to 1938 and he a great deal to do with the Ransom Sanatorium at Newstead. One of his principle interests was work in the connection with the Nottingham Branch of the Red Cross Society, of which he became county director. He was also a member of the University College Council in Nottingham, and a past chairman of the Board of Governors of the Nottingham High School.
At the time of Dr. W. B. Blandy’s death on the 1st April, 1947 he was survived not only by his widow but also two sons, one of whom was Dr. Anthony Charles Blandy. Dr. A. C. Blandy was a consultant paediatrician at the Nottingham Children’s Hospital, also the Mansfield General Hospital, and the Newark Hospital as well. He too was a member of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society and served on its council from 1960 to 1965.
The Presidents Badge of Office, which is worn by the president at all meetings of the society was presented to the society as a gift from Dr. W. B. Blandy during his term as president. He personally invested his successor, Dr. H. Smith Wallace with it at the inaugural meeting of the society on the 5th October, 1938.
Finally, the name Blandy is still to this day kept alive at Kingsmill Hospital, Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, by a ward which bears the name.
B.M.J., May 3rd, 1947, page 619.