Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
JOHN LLEWELLYN DAVIES
(1889 - 1963)
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
1948 - 1949
John Llewwllyn Davies:- Castle Bank, 5, Lenton Road, The Park, Nottingham. B.A., Cambridge (National Science Tripos), 1912, M.B., B.Ch., 1919 F.R.C.S. England, 1922, M. 1914; L.R.C.P. London, 1914 (St Bartholomew's); Sizar & Scholar, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Honorary Consultant Urological Surgeon, Nottingham Women's Hospital; Consultant Urological Surgeon, Nottingham City Hospital; Consultant Surgeon, Harlow Wood Hospital; Honorary Surgeon, Nottingham General & Children’s Hospitals. Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine; Association of Surgeons of Great Britian & British Association of Urological Surgeons. Member of the Society International d’Urological: Late Temporary Captain, Royal Army Medical Corps; House Surgeon & Resident Surgical Officer St. Peters Hospital for Stone.
Medical Directory 1949
Born in Nottingham, where his father was a general practitioner who died young, leaving a widow with three small children, a son and two daughters. His early life was spent on his uncle's farm in Oxfordshire, where he acquired his lifelong interest in wild life and in fishing and shooting. He was educated at Nottingham High School, Emmanual College, Cambridge and St. Bartholomew's Hospital where he qualified in 1914.
He then entered the Royal Army Medical Corps and served throughout the war, returning to St. Bartholomew's in 1919; he was house surgeon there, at St. George's and at St. Peter's Hospital where he became resident surgeon to C.H. Allen, and in 1931 was appointed assistant surgeon to the Nottingham General Hospital. He had to wait until 1946 to become full surgeon, as all staff appointments were frozen during the war of 1939-45. He retired from the active staff in 1955 but remained a member of the committee of management of which he was vice-chairman and was also chairman of the general purposes committee.
He was a city councillor and in 1957-58 an alderman, becoming Lord Mayor of Nottingham in 1961-62. In 1962 he was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of the County of Nottingham. He was a deeply religious man, widely admired and respected. He died on 27th September 1963 survived by his wife, son and daughter.
Lives of the Fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
R.H.O.B. ROBINSON, M.A., F.R.C.S. And W.R. Le FANU, M.A., F.S.A.