Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
JOHN LESLIE TEMPLETON KNOX
1901 - 1965
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
1951 - 1952
John Leslie Templeton Knox: 27, Victoria Embankment, Nottingham. B.A., B.Ch., B.A.O., Belfast, 1924. Member of the British Medical Association and the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society.
Medical Directory 1953.
John Leslie Templeton Knox was born in Belfast in 1899. He studied medicine at Queen’s University and graduated M.B., B.Ch., B.O.A. in 1924. During his student days he was a keen athlete and played rugby and water-polo for the university. After graduation he proceeded to postgraduate study in London and then joined Dr. J. H. Thompson, of the Embankment, Nottingham, whom he later succeeded. He remained in this practice until he retired from the Health Service in September 1963.
For two years until the time of his death on the 28th September, 1965 he was fully occupied with regional medical boards and various other appointments. During his life in medical practice he was outstanding as member, chairman, and representative of such bodies as the Nottingham Insurance Committee, the Nottingham County and City Local Medical Committee, and the Local Executive Council. He found time to give unstinting service for many years. For this he was awarded the O.B.E. in 1963. His fellow general practitioners considered a well merited honour. He was at one time president of the Nottingham Branch of the British Medical Association and in 1951 to 1952 president of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society. In addition to this he did valuable work for the British Red Cross Society over many years. He was appointed president of the City Division in 1948 and assistant branch director of the Nottinghamshire Branch in 1953, when he was made a life member.
In an obituary to Dr. Knox, a colleague wrote of him:- He was a first rate family doctor; his special interest was in children and old people, by whom he was greatly loved. He was kindly, loyal and frank, and his help in all manner of problems was readily given. The measure of this esteem was shown by the large attendance of colleagues and friends at the funeral service in St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Nottingham.
B.M.J. 30th October, 1965, page 1067
Delivered October 3rd 1951.
The President traced man’s age-long struggle against disease from primitive man down through the ages. He pointed out that the methods used in the treatment of disease seemed at first sight to be numerous; they were really variations of three basic measures - faith healing, hygiene therapy, and the use of drugs. Faith healing predominated in the lowest grade of civilization and hygiene therapy in the highest. He described the early Christian concept of disease as being the possession of the individual by a demon, which required exorcism before a cure could be effected. He mentioned the King’s touch as a means of curing illness, and the faith people had in holy relics.
As medicaments, practically everything which could be taken internally has been used in the treatment of disease. It was not until the 19th century that the aspect of surgical practice was dramatically changed by the discovery of anaesthetics. He paid tribute to the work of Simpson, Pasteur, Lister, Koch, and others.
The revolution in nursing, which led to such improvement in the training and character of the nurses, has done so much to forward the art of healing. He concluded with a plea that if we are to promote the health of mankind, we must seek to encourage not only medical science but knowledge as a whole.