FRANK HARWOOD JACOB
President of the Nottingham Medico-
1911 & 1927 -
Frank Harwood Jacob:-
Medical Directory 1915
Frank Harwood Jacob was born on October 4, 1872, the son of a Naval chaplain, and received his early education at King’s School, Ely. He gained the Warenford entrance scholarship to King’s College, London, and thereafter he won a remarkable series of scholarships and prizes during his pre-
He graduated M.B. in 1898 and proceeded M.D. three years later. In 1903 he took the M.R.C.P., becoming a Fellow in 1921. When the honorary staff of the Nottingham General Hospital was expanded in 1901 Dr. Jacob became the first assistant physician. Four years later he was promoted to the full staff, and he continued to serve the hospital faithfully until his retirement, on reaching the age limit, in 1937. In 1947, in recognition of his wonderful service to the hospital, a medical ward, the newest in the hospital at the time, was named after him. Soon after his first appointment to the honorary staff he began to build up a large consulting practice covering Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Rutland, Derbyshire, and parts of Leicestershire.
A member of the British Medical Association for over 50 years, Dr. Jacob was elected as the representative of his division to attend the first Annual Representative Meeting of the Association, which was held at Swansea in 1903, but had, for some reason not known, to send a letter of apology for his absence. In 1905 he acted as one of the honorary secretaries of the Section of Medicine at the Annual Meeting in Leicester, and he was president of the Section of Medicine at the Nottingham Meeting in 1926, serving also on the Arrangements Committee in that session. He was a staunch supporter of the Nottingham Medico-
Dr. P. H. O’Donovan writes:-
Many of his juniors have had great cause to be thankful for kindly counsel, given always with a paternal smile of encouragement. It is not to be wondered at that he was affectionately known as “Uncle Frank.” The mere accumulation of money meant nothing to him-
When the Second World War came Dr. Jacob helped the local practitioners at Malvern, where only a short time before he had gone to live in retirement, by taking on the work of men absent in France. During his retirement, too, he wrote A History of the General Hospital near Nottingham, which was published in 1951, a book of over 350 pages which entailed work to a person no longer living in the locality. The hospital was founded in 1778 by John Key, a Yorkshire squire. It was written of this gentleman by his nephew: A man who was possessed of every virtue that signifies human nature, and where generosity and benevolence were always made to the distressed.” In turn this would seem a fitting epitaph for the great and lovable personality that was Dr. Frank Jacob.
Dr. J. Wilkie Scott wrote:-
B.M.J., December 13th, 1952, page 1312.