MARGARET GLEN BOTT, OBE.
M.B., B.S., F.R.C.O.G.
Margaret Stote Glen Bott was born in Bolton on 17 August 1891. As a child she was considered delicate and not brilliant academically, but her determination, backed by that of her mother, took her via St Elphin’s School in Derbyshire to the London School of Medicine for Women, now the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, where she qualified with the conjoint diploma in 1915.
After a house appointment there the tide of war carried her to the General Hospital in Nottingham, where she undertook an ever-
In 1929 her efforts coupled with the backing of many friends resulted in the opening of the Nottingham Hospital for Women, and the beginning of her dream of a comprehensive gynaecological and obstetric service in that area. In 1938 she was elected a Fellow of the College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
During the Second World War she was called upon to serve the city in another capacity when she was co-
She served first as a councillor and then as alderman, until her retirement. She was appointed O.B.E in 1961 for her political service to the city. She was particularly interested in all aspects of education, and the Margaret Glen Bott School – a secondary school on Wollaton Park was named after her.
At the inception of the National Health Service in 1948 she was made a member of the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board and served there for many years, and later as chairman of Nottingham No. 2 Hospital Management Committee.
She was keenly interested in the arts and the theatre, sports and country life. In Nottingham she is thought of as a pioneer woman but in Midland parlance as "Glen Bott," a beloved, almost legendary figure.
Those of us who had the privilege of working with or being trained by her remember her with love and admiration as Glen, a tiny figure perched on a wooden stool, operating with incompatible skill.
British Medical Journal, page 57, 3rd April 1969