NOTTINGHAM GENERAL HOSPITAL
Jubilee Wing of the Nottingham General Hospital
Extract from the book by Frank Jacob
‘A History of the Nottingham General Hospital near Nottingham’
In August 1914, we were in the midst of war. 103 beds were immediately placed at the disposal of the military authorities for sick and wounded soldiers. The whole of the Jubilee Wing set aside for this purpose was soon full. The large day ward was furnished with beds. The 40 beds at ‘The Cedars’ soon increased to 50, were used for convalescent and less acute cases,. Rearrangements within the Hospital, together with the use of a large empty house adjacent to the Hospital and lent by Mr. Henry Thornton, enabled this work to be undertaken without diminishing the number of civilian patients.
The equipment was almost entirely supplied by the four city detachments of the Red Cross Society. The Red Cross nurses proved invaluable both in nursing and the keeping of the necessary records required by the military authorities.
The various ambulance corps did fine work in the transport of the patients to and from the hospital.
April, 1915: Soon the call came for more beds and it was decided in April, 1915, to erect immediately on the lawn in front of the hospital -
Temporary buildings for the accommodation of 150 beds at a cost not exceeding £3,000, half of which amount will be paid by His Majesty’s Government, the remaining half having been most generously given by Mr W. G. Player and Mr. James Foreman as to £1,250 and £250 respectively.
The Government will fully equip the buildings, when erected, with all that is necessary for effectively working the same, and will pay to the Hospital by way of maintenance the sum of four shillings per day per occupied bed, and will also compensate the medical men for their services.
Mr. Thornton's House on the Ropewalk to be used to accommodate the extra nurses. The cost of equipment there is also paid by the War Office.
The huts were soon in use and were heated by six large stoves provided by Mr. W. G. Player, who afterwards added a balcony to accommodate twenty more patients
Still the cry came for more beds and in April, 1917, another temporary building was erected for fifty-