Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
JOHN BARR COCHRANE
1912 - 1986
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
1963 - 1964
Mr. John Barr Cochrane:- M.B., Ch.B., Edinburgh, 1963; M.R.C.O.G., 1947 (University of Edinburgh) F.R.C.O.G. 1959; Address, 41, Burlington Road, Sherwood & 36, The Ropewalk, Nottingham; Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecology, City Hospital and Firs Maternity Hospital, Nottingham; Member of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society; Fellow of the North of England Obstetric and Gynaecology Society; Late:- House Surgeon, Royal Infirmary, Bolton. Medical Officer, Municipal General Hospital, Burnley.
Medical Directory 1963
Mr. John Barr Cochrane was born in Elgin and educated at the academy there, where he was captain of the school. He graduated in medicine from Edinburgh University in 1936 and moved to Nottingham the following year. He was appointed house surgeon at the City Hospital in 1937 and spent the rest of his professional life there, being made consultant at the inception of the National Health Service.
Mr. Cochrane was a man of immense energy with a prodigious workload who set high standards in the personal care of his patients and the administration of his department. He had a great interest in the City Hospital and did much to develop it from a local authority hospital with a house staff of six to a modern teaching hospital with a medical staff of over 100. He was proud of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society, of which he was a trustee and former president. For many years he collected on behalf of the Royal Medical Benevolent Fund and was also active on behalf of Cancer Research and the nearby Convent Hospital.
Outside medicine he was in his younger days a very competent jazz drummer and a keen cricketer, leading the City Hospital’s team for many years. Before his death in November 1985 he became president of the Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club and Nottinghamshire Cricket Association.
British Medical Journal. Volume 292, 15th February, 1986.