President of the Nottingham Medico Chirurgical Society
Medical Directory, 1922;
Dr. Thompson Henderson was born at Leghorn, Scotland where his family had a business. From George Watson’s College he went to study medicine at Edinburgh University where he graduated M.B., Ch.B., at the age of 21. For a time he was demonstrator of anatomy in the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, and after qualification he worked as ophthalmic house surgeon in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. After further postgraduate study in Vienna and London he set up practice in Nottingham in 1904, marrying in the same year, and for nearly half a century he lived and practiced at the Ropewalk. In 1909 he was appointed honorary surgeon to the Nottingham and Midland Eye Infirmary. A year later he was awarded the gold medal offered by the 11th International Ophthalmological Congress in Naples for the best paper in connection with the treatment of hardening of the eye. In August, 1914 he volunteered for medical work in the Army and served throughout the first world war as a captain. In 1926 he gained the Doyne memorial medal at the Oxford Ophthalmic Congress, and for several years his main research work was directed towards discovering the cause of glaucoma and its treatment. Even in his earlier years in Nottingham he undertook research work, installing his own laboratory at his surgery. In 1950 he published a book entitled Principles of Ophthalmology. He was also the author of several contributions on ophthalmological subjects. His discoveries brought him world-
Dr. Henderson was president of the Nottingham Medico-
Adapted from an obituary notice.
B.M.J., June 25, 1960, page 1962.