Nottingham Hospitals Archives 2011
NOTTINGHAM’S EMINENT SURGEONS AND PHYSICIANS
ALAN MURPHY M.B.E.
President of the Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society
1976 - 1977
Alan Murphy:- 19, Ireton Grove, Attenborough Nottinghamshire, and 25, High Street, Long Eaton. (Murphy, Lane, Nicholson and Lee). M.B., Ch.B., Manchester University, 1947. M.R.C.G.P., 1972. Lecturer in General Practice, Nottingham University. Late:- Lieutenant-Colonel R.A.M.C., A.E.R.
Medical Directory 1976
Dr Alan Murphy was born in North Manchester and educated at the North Manchester Grammar School. He was awarded a Manchester City medical scholarship in 1942 to enter Manchester University where he qualified MB ChB in 1947. His Pre-registration Posts were as House Physician and House Surgeon at the Manchester Royal Infirmary from where he went as Senior House Officer to the Thoracic Unit at the Frenchay Hospital, Bristol. After National Service in the Royal Army Medical Corps as A Medical Officer to the 1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment he was for a period Surgical Registrar at the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford.
He entered general practice at Long Eaton in 1952, retiring as senior partner in 1992. During this time he delivered 2000 babies, 1500 at home and the last 500 in hospital when beds became available to GPs at the Queens Medical Centre and the City Hospital Nottingham. He was an adviser in obstetrics for the Medical Defence Union and an Assessor in Obstetric Units for the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
After National Service, Alan Murphy joined the Army Emergency Reserve as Medical Officer to 81st Port Regiment, Royal Engineers. Later that year he transferred as Major to the 10th Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps. In 1958 at the age of 33 he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel commanding the 10th Field Ambulance.
With the development of the new Nottingham Medical School in nearly 1970s, Alan was quickly identified as an ideal doctor to forge links between the Medical School, the Hospital and satellite general practices which also involved him working to build the Post Graduate Education Centre at the Queens Medical Centre. Accordingly he was appointed a part-time lecturer in General Practice to the University of Nottingham and a Clinical Assistant to Professor J. R. A. Mitchell, the Foundation Professor of Medicine. Both of these jobs were combined with his full-time general practice work and continued until 1991.
For his services to General Practice and to Medical Education he was awarded the MBE in 1988.
A churchman all his life, Alan made a profound contribution to his local Church in Attenborough, Nottinghamshire and was a reader there for 43 years.