Arthur Marshall, ARIBA, FRPS.
Born on Goldsmith Street, Nottingham on 23rd December, 1858, Arthur Marshall was the third son of James Matthew Marshall, a well-
Another event to which occurred in 1896 proved to be a significant milestone in Marshall's career. For in November of that year, it was announced that his firm had attained first place in a competition organised by the Nottingham Board of Guardians for designs for the erection of a new workhouse and a multitude of associated buildings on a piece of land of about 65 acres adjacent to Hucknall Road at Bagthorpe (now recognised as the Nottingham City Hospital). This was an ambitious project, which took six years to complete and cost almost £250,000. Following upon this success, Marshall became professional adviser and architect to Boards of Guardians in different parts of the country. He was responsible for the designing of Newark Union Infirmary (now known as Newark General Hospital); the last major public work with which he was involved being the Nottingham and Midland Eye Infirmary.
Arthur Marshall combined an exacting professional career with an equally successful and active private life. He was an authority on antique furniture and wood carvings, and a fine water colourist. But it was in the role of an amateur photographer that he became especially famous. During the Edwardian period he was a prominent exhibitor at both national and international events, and at one time was President of the Nottingham Mechanics Institute Camera Club. Towards the end of the summer of 1914, he became ill with pernicious anaemia and died on 25th of February, 1915 at Lockington, Leicestershire aged 56 years.